Saturday 30 March 2013

When in doubt, add bacon

Long weekends are awesome, because I end up with a lot of 'dead time' that I need to fill in somehow.  My favourite way of filling in dead time is to cook.  As this is the Easter long weekend, I decided that I wanted to make something kind of festive.  Festive for me is an excuse to eat things that are bad for me!

I love cornbread, and like to bake some when I roast something fleshy.  There is something infinitely satisfying to make something that is hugely tasty, but that you feel good about eating.  There is no food regret with cornbread.  This is a Nigella Lawson recipe that I have modified a little to make little bundles of soft and crunchy joy.  After all, everything is better when you add bacon!

When in Doubt, Add Bacon Cornbread Muffins

175 g polenta
125 g plain flour
45 g white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder (not baking soda)
250 mL (1 cup) milk
1 egg
45 g butter
2-3 rashers of bacon
1 cup grated cheese (I like to use the sharpest cheddar I can find)

Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F) and grease a 12-hole muffin/cupcake tray
Mix together dry ingredients, then stir through the cheese in a large bowl
In a large measuring cup or jug with a spout mix the egg and milk together
Chop bacon into small pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl with the butter
Cook the butter and bacon together in a microwave until the butter is melted and the bacon is cooked (2-4 minutes)
Add the bacon and butter to the milk and egg, and mix well
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined
Divide the batter evenly in the muffin tray, then place in the preheated oven
Cook for 15-20 minutes until the muffins are firm when touched and are starting to brown

These muffins are great on their own, or served alongside something rich in flavour.  I love them with butter or cranberry sauce, but your results may vary - they are versatile and moreish.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment